PNC 05/20/19

From United States Pirate Party
Jump to: navigation, search

::PNC Meeting Agenda::

--- 05/20/2019 21:00h EDT ---
IRC: irc.pirateirc.net
Room: #uspp
Wiki: https://wiki.pirate-party.us/w/index.php?title=PNC_05/20/19


Minutes

Record of the meeting

 

[9:02pm] Sayyida: well its 1 past the hour lets call the meeting
[9:02pm] Pirate_Joe: May I add something to the agenda first?
[9:02pm] Bosun: Joe Klein Wisconsin
[9:02pm] Bosun: ok
[9:02pm] Sayyida: Yes please I think I dont even have it set up becuase of the email
[9:02pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Massachusetts, Vice Chair
[9:02pm] K`Tetch_: yes, my bad, it was the PPI meeting today that was cancelled
[9:03pm] Sayyida: megan klein wisconsin chair
[9:03pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Massachusetts (observer)
[9:03pm] Bosun: Yes because of the EU Election
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: I would like to add becoming an official PAC
[9:03pm] Sayyida: we will discuss it Pirate_Joe
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: Decisions/Endorsements?
[9:04pm] jokeefe: do we have an agenda?
[9:04pm] Sayyida: not set up will you do it jokeefe ?
[9:07pm] jokeefe: https://pnc.piratenpad.de/PNC-2019-05-20
[9:07pm] Sayyida: thank you 
[9:08pm] jokeefe: not sure what the previous meeting is
[9:09pm] Sayyida: I don't know, I have been MIA for the last 2
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: the last two meetings did not occur due to lack of attendance. Please refer the the meeting before that.
[9:09pm] Sayyida: that was the one we decided on weekly meetings and 30 min 
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: I figured it would take some time to get used to, so no worries on my end.
[9:10pm] Sayyida: Aye, so alls well that ends well
[9:11pm] Sayyida: I know elections are coming up 
[9:11pm] Sayyida: when are we having them?
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: Are these for longer sessions?
[9:11pm] Sayyida: I thought we agreed on a short term for now then longer this next
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: IE. 1 year post
[9:12pm] Sayyida: yes that
[9:12pm] Sayyida: Pirate_Joe, did you add to the agenda what you needed?
[9:12pm] Sayyida: is everything needed to discuss on the agenda I should say
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: I corrected it.
[9:13pm] Sayyida: cool lets kick it off. I would like to discuss electoins since that can be the shorter topic
[9:14pm] Sayyida: is that ok with everyone?
[9:14pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:14pm] Bosun: ok
[9:14pm] Sayyida: ok well June 3rd is I THINK our 6 mo end
[9:15pm] Sayyida: I think we should hold elections the following week june 13
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: Sounds about right. We did do a bit to form up our current platform. Reached out to state parties and reached out to our EU counterparts as well
[9:16pm] Sayyida: we did and I am proud of us
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Election was set for July 29th - https://wiki.pirate-party.us/PNC_01/28/19
[9:17pm] papegaai: Title: PNC 01/28/19 - United States Pirate Party (at wiki.pirate-party.us)
[9:17pm] Pirate_Joe: We recently set regular meetings at regular intervals.  We still have time to accomplish a few more tasks if possible.
[9:17pm] Sayyida: OH GREAT!
[9:17pm] Sayyida: I didnt remember the date thank you jokeefe
[9:17pm] Sayyida: ill put that in my calandar
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, he keeps us all on point, thank you jokeefe for being our rock!
[9:18pm] jokeefe: records are good 
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:18pm] Sayyida: well now that the date is settled, and this was clarified, lets move to Pirate_Joe
[9:18pm] Sayyida: is that ok with everyone?
[9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: Well, it's a topic that we have discussed before
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: If we open a medium to store funds, eventually we can do events, like a Washington D.C. trip for a National meeting.
[9:20pm] Sayyida: yes but not in detail i dont think
[9:20pm] Sayyida: agreed we should form a pac, I just don't know the legal ramifications
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: A Trump protest hosted by us?
[9:20pm] Sayyida: Pirate_Joe, that would be a blast
[9:21pm] Bosun: I have browsed the IRS code on the PAC subject.
[9:21pm] Sayyida: Bosun, good, and?
[9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: Jokeefe, could you assist us with such an endeavor?
[9:22pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: Since we formed one in MA, I'm sure the process for a national one is similar.
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: The question would be finding a bank that we would have access to nationally.
[9:22pm] Bosun: It is all about following the rules.
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: ^
[9:23pm] Sayyida: so should we do some digging on major banks and fees? Pirate_Joe ?
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, but they are usually very nice and are happy to help.
[9:23pm] Bosun: Any good national bank not run by crooks.
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: Well, usually there are very few fees for a PAC
[9:23pm] Sayyida: Bosun, HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: Welp, that's impossible.
[9:24pm] jokeefe: File with FEC as a PAC - https://www.fec.gov/help-candidates-and-committees/guides/?tab=political-action-committees
[9:24pm] papegaai: Title: Guides | FEC (at www.fec.gov)
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Do not go the IRS 527 route
[9:25pm] Sayyida: jokeefe, dangerous?
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Really easy - https://www.fec.gov/help-candidates-and-committees/registering-pac/
[9:25pm] papegaai: Title: Registering as a PAC | FEC (at www.fec.gov)
[9:25pm] Sayyida: who wants to hold the keys?
[9:25pm] Bosun: 527 is a political party,
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Not dangerous, just that FEC is easier and more true to our values
[9:25pm] Sayyida: we technically dont have a keeper of the loot
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: Well, here is what I was thinking
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Party committees are registered with the FEC not IRS
[9:26pm] jokeefe: But we don’t qualify to be a party committtee yet.
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: We can get everything ready and form the PAC the day before elections and to close
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: Why not Jokeefe?
[9:27pm] jokeefe: “A nonconnected committee must register within 10 days of raising or spending more than $1,000 in contributions or expenditures during a calendar year” - https://www.fec.gov/help-candidates-and-committees/registering-pac/registering-nonconnected-committee/
[9:27pm] papegaai: Title: FEC | PAC | Registering as a nonconnected PAC (at www.fec.gov)
[9:27pm] jokeefe: or earlier
[9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: I will be able to contribute soon, I was planning on give it to the MA Party, but would be happy to use it to for this PAC
[9:28pm] Sayyida: so why not have it after elections or start the process day of
[9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: If we start raising money, we can qualify
[9:29pm] jokeefe: We need a treasurer
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: It may be a bit much to do both at the same time, I think we should focus on one at a time to do them both justice.
[9:29pm] Sayyida: Pirate_Joe, understood
[9:29pm] Sayyida: I say start with the elections making sure we have a treasurer
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: I agree but......
[9:30pm] Sayyida: but?
[9:30pm] Sayyida: we are going into over time
[9:30pm] Sayyida: is everyone ok with that?
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: In the absence of the treasurer, the chair should hold the responsibilities.  In fact, any missing members duties fall back on the chair/vice chair when they are absent.
[9:31pm] Sayyida: so are you wanting to start raising funds now then pass it to the treasurer?
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: Or so I think it should go.  Please correct me if I am incorrect
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: Makes sense no to wait
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: *not to
[9:31pm] Sayyida: I agree that is how it should go
[9:32pm] jokeefe: guessing chair and treasurer should not be the same person.
[9:32pm] Sayyida: it makes sense with the fall of power
[9:32pm] Sayyida: It should not. that kind of power with one person is dangerous
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: Chair and Treasurer have different focuses
[9:32pm] Bosun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEDbBXRr5BY
[9:33pm] Sayyida: I think the secretary should have it until a treasurer is made
[9:33pm] Sayyida: or can we agree that all 3 have power until the treasurer is made? 
[9:33pm] Sayyida: no decisoin can be made without all 3 signing off on it?
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: I am of the mind set that the all officers on the board should have access to the funds if requested in approved. However only a few names on the bank account would be the normal situation.
[9:35pm] Sayyida: so the 3 members right
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: Usually the Chair and the Treasurer.  In this case, since I am the one to contribute, I would prefer if I hold the temporary office of the treasurer in addition to my usual duties.
[9:36pm] jokeefe: We should define who has signature power and put it in our bylaws
[9:36pm] Sayyida: jokeefe, exactly
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: But I would have to say it makes the most sense to keep as few names on that account as possible.
[9:36pm] Sayyida: Im of the mind that this is a great power and needs to be checked if needed
[9:36pm] Sayyida: Pirate_Joe, i think you should hold it as you volunteer for the postion
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: Lest we end up with those with both grievance and sticky fingers
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: Acting Quartermaster is a good title, if I may.
[9:37pm] Sayyida: Pirate_Joe, haha true.
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: I will consult with Jokeefe to get this going sometime this weekend and start working on it as soon as possible the following week.
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: If that works with you Jokeefe?
[9:38pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:38pm] Sayyida: Pirate_Joe, will you set up the pac with jokeefe and keep this power? both of you?
[9:38pm] Bosun: If MAPP is doing this it should be a MA bank branch - you will need signatures.
[9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: No, I did not seek Jokeefe to form the PAC
[9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: You would be the chair Sayyida, so you would need to be on the bank account.
[9:39pm] Sayyida: I would need to be in the same room as you then
[9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: I will run a list of sutible banks and have my report for next week.,
[9:40pm] Sayyida: Pirate_Joe, ok. sounds like a plan
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: 8suitable
[9:40pm] Sayyida: lol
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: *, lol
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: Thank you for take the extra time
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: That is all I have for this week.
[9:40pm] Bosun: No I think any with a Wisconsin or Chicago branch can Sayyida's signature card.
[9:41pm] Bosun: ... process ...
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: I have friends in the banking world, I'll see what I can do.
[9:41pm] Sayyida: Pirate_Joe, make sure on me bing in the same room
[9:41pm] Sayyida: Thank you 
[9:41pm] Sayyida: we need to call this meeting, its 11 min over
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: I second that call
[9:41pm] Sayyida: Pirate_Joe, you know how to reach me
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:41pm] Bosun: Ok - we read FEC pamphlets tonight.
[9:42pm] Pirate_Joe: Motion to adjourn?
[9:42pm] Sayyida: meeting adjourned.
[9:42pm] Bosun left the chat room. (Quit: Leaving)
[9:42pm] Pirate_Joe: Thank you everyone, I hope you have a great night!
[9:42pm] Sayyida: Thank you everyone!
[9:42pm] jokeefe: good night

  

1 - ATTENDEES

1.1 - Members of the PNC

Attending

  • Bosun: Joe Klein Wisconsin
  • Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Massachusetts, Vice Chair
  • Sayyida: megan klein wisconsin chair

Excused

Unexcused

Probation

1.2 - At Large Members of the PNC

1.3 - Officers of the PNC

  • Chairperson - Meg Klein
  • Vice Chair - Joseph Onoroski
  • Secretary - Joseph Klein

1.4 - Other Attendess

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Massachusetts (observer)

2 - PROCEEDINGS

  • Meeting called to order at: _____pm EDT
  • Meeting chaired by _________
  • Secretary for this meeting is _________
  • Quorum is established: _____ Members present
  • Logging Enabled:

3 Review of previous minutes

https://pnc.piratenpad.de/2019-03-25


4 - Agenda Items

Review last meeting election time discuss when it time to have it National PAC formation

Tasks

Status of:

  1. update website.
  2. Update the wiki - specifically which state chapter status
  3. Bonus round! CIVICRM

Set Days of the Month for Regular Meetings

- AOB -


  • Next meeting: ______ at _:__PM EDT
  • Meeting closed: ____________