We stand for open culture. No one should have the power to prevent the free exchange and expression of ideas, tools, or works.
To repress culture is to instill ignorance. To limit who has access to culture by putting a price on it means spreading ignorance unequally. This is the Core Value that relates to Copyright and Patent reform. Not only do Copyright and Patents restrict access to ideas, tools and works but they also restrict the creation of such. The original purpose of Intellectual Property Laws was to promote innovation yet now we consistently stifle innovation in the pursuit of profit. Intellectual Property was never meant to protect an individual's personal income but to enrich society as a whole. However, Intellectual Property Laws can and have helped to increase innovation in the past. This is why we need to reform copyright and patents. Each individual state party forms their own ideas about the degree to which they are reformed but Open Culture remains a core value of all.
- http://wiki.freeculture.org/Free_culture What is free culture?
- http://stallman.org/articles/end-war-on-sharing.html Ending the War on Sharing
- http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html Open Source Misses the Point
- http://www.cjr.org/feature/expensive_gifts.php Expensive Gifts
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n04IeQo4RCQ Nina Paley at HOPE 2010
- http://questioncopyright.org/sita_distribution The Sita Sings the Blues Distribution Project
- http://www.thenation.com/article/mr-lessig-goes-washington Mr. Lessig Goes to Washington
- http://www.ram.org/ramblings/philosophy/fmp.html#what_it_is The Free Music Philosophy
- http://www.freeradical.co.nz/content/47/47ballin.php Ballin M. Unfair Use. The Free Radical
- Berry, David M. and Giles Moss. 2006. The Politics of the Libre Commons. First Monday. Volume 11 (September)
- Pasquinelli, Matteo. "The Ideology of Free Culture and the Grammar of Sabotage"; now in Animal Spirits: A Bestiary of the Commons, Rotterdam: NAi Publishers, 2008.
- Videoblog: Free Culture, Free Software, Free Infrastructures! Openness and Freedom in every Layer of the Network (Interviews with Kloschi (Freifunk), Kurt Jansson (Wikimedia), Jürgen Neumann (Freifunk), Rishab Aiyer Ghosh (United Nations University), Lawrence Lessig (Creative Commons) and Allison and Benoit (Montréal Wireless))
- Libervis.com is a project of building and promoting a free culture community online.
- Charter for Innovation, Creativity and Access to Knowledge